Let's take a look at some things you should know about the Xiongan New Area.
Where is the Xiongan New Area?
Located some 100 kilometers southwest of downtown Beijing, the Xiongan New Area covers the counties of Xiongxian, Rongcheng and Anxin, and is home to Baiyangdian, one of the largest freshwater wetlands in North China.
What is the overall blueprint of the Xiongan New Area?
The new area will cover around 100 square km initially and will be expanded to 200 square km in the mid-term and about 2,000 square km in the long term, according to the official circular.
What's the significance of the Xiongan New Area?
The new area will operate as a new growth pole for the country's economy, and also aim to curb urban sprawl, bridge growth disparities and protect ecology. The area will be of the same national significance as the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone, established in the 1980s, and the Shanghai Pudong New Area, created in the 1990s, Xinhua said in a commentary.
Why is the Xiongan New Area being established?
The move will help phase out some non-capital functions from Beijing, explore a new model of optimized development in densely-populated areas, restructure the urban layout in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region and cultivate new innovation-driven engines, according to the circular.
What are the seven major tasks for the Xiongan New Area?
1. Building a world-class, green, modern and smart city
2. Becoming a city with scenic ecological environment, blue skies, fresh air and clean water
3. Developing high-end innovative industries as new growth engines
4. Having quality public services and infrastructure, as well as a new urban management model
5. Establishing a fast and effective as well as green transport network
6. Pushing for structural and institutional reforms to stimulate market vitality
7. Opening wider to the outside world and becoming a new platform for foreign cooperation
Scan the QR Code to Follow