The Changguan Building at the Beijing Zoo was built in 1908, the thirty-fourth year of the Guangxu era of the Qing Dynasty. It was once a palace for Empress Dowager Cixi to rest on her journey to the Summer Palace by boat.
It is a two-story building of mixed brick and wood structure in European Baroque style. It is surrounded by a deep outer corridor, with windows opening to the front on the hill wall and an attic inside the roof. The red brick walls are partially plastered and plastered with brickwork and decorated with brickwork. The Ionic columns and the curved façade are decorated with spheres. At the corners of the two front ends are eight-shaped attics covered with arched tin roofs.
Soon after the completion of the building, Cixi and Guangxu died successively, so it was not actually used. Sun Yat-sen, the pioneer of the Xinhai Revolution, lived in the Changguan Building when he came to Beijing. After the founding of the People's Republic of China, the first planning plan for Beijing city was born here, which was called the "Changguan Building Plan". In the 1990s, the building was converted into the "Royal Club of Beijing" and was closed to visitors.